So you need some writing work done and you’re either not a skilled writer or don’t have the time? Hire a freelance writer! Freelance writers offer writing services online, are independent workers, and usually work from home. Some writers offer different services than others, so you’ll need to find one that fits your needs.
How to Hire a Freelance Writer
- Search: Search online for a skilled, experienced, and talented freelance writer. There are millions out there. Narrow your search by seeking those who match your needs. If you need a blog written, find a blog writer, not a grantwriter.
- Know: Know what you need. Be specific and clear in your job posting. What do you need written? What is the word length of your project? When do you need it completed? Will the writer receive credit in the form of a bio or will you be buying all rights to the work? How much are you paying and in what format? You must be able to answer these questions to hire a freelance writer.
- Post: Post your writing job on an online job board. Some good writing job boards to post to are:
Freelance Writing Morning Coffee Newsletter
You should start receiving applicants shortly after it goes live.
- Choose: Sort out your applicants. Are there typos in their application? Do they have relevant writing samples? Are they experienced and skilled writers? Check their websites and writing samples. You should be able to get a good feel for their writing style by reading some of their work. Choose the top three applicants.
- Hire: Send an email with any questions you have for your top three applicants. Judge your choices by their answers and promptness. Choose the writer you feel matches you and your writing project the best. Hire that writer!
Working with Your Freelance Writer
When you send an email to the freelance writer you’ve chosen you should get a response with a complete writing contract or agreement. The contract must include all deliverables (what work you will get), when payment is due, what the writing fee is, what copyrights you are buying, what the revisions process is, and both parties’ full names and addresses. Sign and scan your writing agreement or complete an electronic signature with DocuSign.
Review the work when you receive it, and get back to the writer promptly. If you need something changed simply ask for a revision. The writer should get a revised version back to you in a timely manner (this is usually specified in the writing contract). When you are ecstatic (yes, you should be ecstatic with the work!) with the results, send the agreed upon payment to your writer. Keep that writer’s contact information, and hire that writer again.
Share your experience with your colleagues, and refer that writer when someone else is looking to outsource their writing work.
Have you had an awesome experience hiring a freelance writer? Leave a comment below!